‘Mrs Martini’ Reclaims the Show

© Chris Woodland

[back to contents]



Sometime in late 1908 Jessie somehow obtained the necessary finances and, to the relief of all in the show – probably including Patrick – bought Patrick out to become the sole proprietor of Martini’s Buckjumping Show.

From the time of Martini’s death the show had performed at previously mentioned Hillgrove, Uralla, Walcha and Tamworth in the New England. From there they continued on through Manilla, Muralla, Gunnedah, Werris Creek snaking all the way down to Parramatta where they arrived in October.


NSW South Coast – Southern Tablelands
Goulburn through to the Hunter District

At Wollongong an advertisement declared that:

Mrs Martini reserves the right to refuse admission to objectionable persons.

They arrived at Nowra in December having performed at all the prominent towns along the coast.

Heading up the range they play at Bowral, Moss Vale and other towns along the way. The audience at Goulburn was very disappointed because a rider, who attempted to stay on Bobs’ back for £10 for one minute, did not remain on for one second. ‘Mrs Martin’ would not allow Bobs more than one performance a night, hence the crowd’s disappointment. From Goulburn they worked the towns between Yass and Boorowa in January 1908, then onto Young, Lithgow in February. In March the Mudgee Guardian declared their presence as the ‘Night of the Pig-skin’. By the end of the month they had included towns through to Denman and Singleton.

The Referee was now running an advertisement stating that Mrs J Martini’s private address was care of the elder Breheney in Paddington. Very soon all correspondence addressed to ‘Mrs Martin’ and other Martini performers and staff would be sent via the Referee.

Martini had been well known for controlling unruly persons in the audience with his quick one-line quips and it appears ‘Mrs Martini’, had been a good pupil in that regard. The Gundagai Independent commented:

A boy from the bush was chiacking Mrs Martini (now running Martini’s buckjumping show) in a town up north the other night, when she invited him to come into the ring and take his place with the other mules. That retort shut him up.


Gloucester through to Toowoomba

In April the show performed at Gloucester, Dungog, Wingham and Kempsey and continued on through Bellingen, Kempsey again, Grafton, Harwood and Ulmarra in May. June saw the show moving through Byron Bay and Mullumbimby. As the winter developed they continued north towards warmer climes, playing for a full house in Brisbane in August, where they enjoyed a season of three weeks, before receiving further acclamation at Ipswich and Toowoomba before heading south again.


Moree to Bourke

Moree, Barraba and Collarenebri were played by the travelling troupe, though the show suffered a serious loss just as the show was to begin in Collarenebri when as sudden windstorm blew the tent down. Also during September it was reported that Billy Waite was thrown by Skuthorpe’s Snips at Warwick.

It was now November and the show performed at Brewarrina but made very slow time in getting to Bourke because of rain. There was a clash of performance dates at Bourke between Martini’s Buckjumping Show and the local Convent Open Air Concert, so:

Mrs Martini will close her show that night and attend the concert with all her company. It is now well into December and the show conducts a buckjumping tournament as a benefit for the local hospital, before heading south.