MOODS OF THE BOARS HEAD, KATOOMBA 

Boars Head has been a name used for a feature in Katoomba at least since 1882 and was described in the Katoomba and Leura Illustrated Guide of 1940 as “The perfect presentation of the head of a great boar, the beetling snout, the slavering jaws, the curved tusks”.  

From Cahill’s Lookout on a misty morning

Today, Cahills Lookout and the Narrowneck fire trail are increasingly visited areas of Katoomba and a meet and greet ranger from National Parks & Wildlife Service has given information to visitors to the fire trail on certain days.  Very few prominent features in the Blue Mountains can be easily photographed against such a variety of completely natural backgrounds – all the more so since the State Government purchase of Ngula Bulgarabang has apparently ruled out development on that outstanding plateau which provides a forest backdrop across Nellies Glen from the Boars Head.  

From Cahills Lookout at sunset

From Glenraphael Drive with Peckmans Plateau and Ngula Bulgarabang Regional Park in background

The vicinity is worth revisiting to appreciate the changes in the Boars Head appearance according to the weather and the time of day.

© Don Morrison

above photos © Christine Davies

 

Eleanor Dark, Eric Dark, Osmar White and Eric Lowe on the Boar’s Head Rock 1931 – first ascent of the rock by rope. Provenance: Photo by James (Jim) Starkey, copy donated by his daughter Jane Chadwick and son Ian: the Starkey Collection, Blue Mountains City Library – Local Studies